Friday, May 28, 2010

the incredible, edible egg shell

I'm not sure how I came up with the idea for this blog post. I think it all started when I was looking for alternative foods to give my puppies. They had been sick (poor things) for a couple weeks and I was starting to get pretty desperate. After doing extended research, I learned that you can grind up egg shells into a fine powder (just throw em in your coffee grinder or use a mortar and pestle) and mix them into your pup's food-- they're loaded with calcium. 


People and plants can also eat the ground up shells. Apparently calcium is an essential part of a well balanced diet. who knew? Here are a few other uses I thought were particularly interesting:

•If you start seeds early indoors, eggshells are perfect to grow your seedlings in. Just rest them in the egg container they originally came in and viola! your own seed starter kit. just add dirt, seeds, and water.  



•Make sidewalk chalk. You can even add food coloring!



•Put them in the bottom of your potted plants in place of rocks. the purpose here is two fold--not only are they keeping the soil well drained, they are giving your plants some much needed calcium.


1 comment:

Danielle Renee said...

Love Love Love the sidewalk chalk! Glad I found you!