Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mushroom Fever

After two solid weeks of blizzards and icy roads here in central Ohio, I've got some serious spring fever. My favorite season is spring, and I love the tulips and magnolias and FORSYTHIA (my personal favorite) that bloom and smell so amazing...


However, flowers are not the only thing that starts growing when it gets warm out! I'm talking about fungus. Granted, mushrooms are not as pretty as flowers, and definitely do not smell as pretty either. But for some reason, I've always had some small amount of affinity for them.. I actually used mushrooms as a recurring theme in my wedding-people seriously thought I was nuts- but it turned out beautifully. We had our cake decorated with little delicate sugar mushrooms, which tasted AMAZING, and I also designed our programs and favor gift tags with a mushroom illustration on them. It was enough to make our wedding stand out as a little out of the ordinary, but not too overboard.


A note about mushrooms I seem to notice a lot: More often than not, mushrooms get played up in a cartoonish way, you know, like the dancing mushrooms from Fantasia or the extremely hippy looking illustrations of them which I find to be unappealing.

I LOVE vintage drawings/etchings of mushrooms that portray them in fine detail. Mushrooms are so delicate and beautiful, and they so often get looked over, in my opinion, because they are A. A fungus, and
B. always get portrayed as a cutesy cartoon.

So here is my ode to mushrooms, in hopes that it might inspire you to make some mushroom-y creations of your own!









If you are curious about any of these beautiful mushrooms, they can all be found on Etsy!
To find out more please click on the image--it will take you directly to their shop listings.

Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

Callooh Callay said...

What beautiful little mushrooms! This is a nice feature. I agree, I prefer the non-cartoonish mushrooms.

Visit my blog for some pictures of moss! (another underrated being)

Anonymous said...

I don't like to eat mushrooms but I love the pictures of them.

I like your blog. I'll check back often. I love reading blogs :)

lauren bacchus said...

I love mushrooms! Your shop is fabulous. :)

Jeni said...

I love forsythia. And your shop. Hi *waves*.